Friday, April 22, 2011

Amstel Gold Race 2010, Sunday the 18th of April 2010

Amstel Gold Race 2010

Last year I went to the Amstel Gold Race for the first time. I went to the Amstel Gold Race 2010 with my friend Kimberley and one of her friends. After a long trip by train we finally arrived in Valkenburg. We decided we wanted to stand on the top of the Cauberg, so we walked from the train station to the Cauberg. After that walk I was so glad that I didn't have to ride my bike up to the top of the Cauberg, because it was hard walk up to the top. When we made it to the top we were really happy because we thought we had a great spot. We were standing on the right side of the road, 100 metres away from the finish line, so we could see the riders come up the Cauberg and we could see them finish. But boy did things change during the day...


When we found our spot we sat down because it would be some time before the riders would pass us for the first time. We talked a bit and had fun while waiting for the riders to make their first pass. We could hear the riders coming because the people at the bottom of the Cauberg started cheering and clapping for the riders. When we heard that, we got up and grabbed our cameras. We were ready to take our pictures. I was determined to get a picture of Andy but I didn't have much luck in the first round. Although I did get some pictures of other riders and the peloton. I also got a picture from one of the Saxo riders (André Steensen)


After the first round we sat down again because it would be some time before the riders pass for the second time. In the meantime, we checked our cameras to see if we got the riders we wanted. I only got one picture of a rider of my favourite team, team Saxo Bank. So I wasn't satisfied with my results. I had to do better the next round.
So we waited until the next time the riders would pass us. In the meantime, a small group of guys came and they took their spot next to us. There is nothing wrong with other people standing next to us but unfortunately they started smoking a joint... And I can tell you that it doesn't smell nice, but we decided to stay on our spot because we could see everything from where we were standing. We hoped they would leave at some point. People at the bottom of the Cauberg started cheering and clapping again so we grabbed our cameras again. I was more lucky this time. I got a picture of Vincenzo Nibali, one of the riders I like.


After the riders passed us for the second time we started to check our cameras again. I didn't get any good picture because a guy with a very big flag came to stand right next to me. He was a member of the Phillipe Gilbert fanclub. They have these very big black and yellow flags that totally take your view away. So every picture I took in the second round had big pieces of the Gilbert flag on it. No luck this time. I only had one chance left. The finish.
The last time the riders passed us they would ride really fast because they would be sprinting for the finish line. But I had to try because I didn't get my picture of Andy Schleck yet. I didn't have any luck the first two times but the last time I had a lot of luck with my pictures. I had some awesome pictures. I missed the winner Gilbert because he was too fast for my camera, but I didn't mind. He deserved to win because he was really strong. So congrats to him! but I was really happy because I had my picture of Andy Schleck. He almost rode in to the barriers where I was standing. Luckily he didn't crash. It did gave me the opportunity to get my picture without standing in the way for the riders, like many photographers do.

The picture of Andy Schleck wasn't the only picture I got. I also got a picture of Alexandre Kolobnev, Robert Gesink and a teammate of Gilbert celebrating.




So in the end I was pretty happy with the pictures I got. I got one of the pictures I wanted (the one of Andy Schleck) and I did get some other awesome pictures. We did agree that next year it would be wise to avoid the Gilbert fanclub and other fanclubs with their big flags and people who smoke (joints). Since they either block our view or they give us a headache with the smell. Despite all these things we had an awesome time and we got some great pictures. So see you next year Amstel Gold Race, because we will be back!




Written by Marleen

4 comments: